Liquid silicone rubber is a hypoallergenic, mold-resistant and mildew-resistant thermoplastic that manufacturers use in a variety of applications. For applications that require hygienic or sanitary conditions, medical or food-grade LSR is a smart choice.
In this article, we look at some of the many uses for sanitary-grade LSR and some of the ways that SIMTEC Silicone Parts can help fulfill your sanitary manufacturing requirements.
Industries That Need Sanitary Products
Any industry with an incentive to prevent contamination will need sanitary components. Most notably, these include:
- Medical device manufacturing: Medical devices have some of the highest standards for sanitation, and for obvious reasons. To prevent the spread of infectious diseases, medical devices need to be easy to sterilize, with a high level of biocompatibility and resistance to temperature extremes.
- Food and beverage: Any product involved in food or beverage production on an industrial scale must meet certain sanitary conditions. Having the right products is part of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) risk management and FDA compliance.
- Consumer goods: Not all consumer products need to use sanitary LSR, but for anything that has the potential to spread contamination, using a sanitary LSR is part of risk mitigation. Though product design plays a role in preventing the spread of bacteria, choosing a material that’s easy to clean is another important part of reducing the risk of an incident that can lead to fines or reputational damage.
Ultimately, any application that uses LSR can be made more hygienic with a sanitary-grade product. Whether or not that is the right choice for your project will depend on your application, your budget and your regulatory requirements.
What Products Need to Be Sanitary?
Some specific products that require sanitary grade LSR include:
- Skin contact medical devices, flow control valves, syringe stoppers, diaphragms and other components
- Nozzles and gaskets used in dairy production, food preparation, pharmaceutical manufacturing or any other application that has the potential to introduce food-borne contaminants
- Showerheads, dishwasher gaskets and other home items for cooking, cleaning and bathing
The broad category of sanitary LSR encompasses materials in a range of colors, with varying degrees of ductility, temperature resistance, elongation and other factors. SIMTEC works with several different materials with varying properties to support a diverse cross-section of applications across industries and sectors.
Contact SIMTEC For Sanitary Injection Molding
SIMTEC works with Fortune 100 businesses in automotive, food and beverage, manufacturing and other industries. We take the time to get to know your requirements and match you with the right combination of materials and processes. We are an ISO 9001-certified business that is set up to complete manufacturing and assembly in Class VIII (100,000) and Class VII (10,000) clean room conditions.