Choosing the best materials for new medical devices and disposables along with an experienced technology partner such as SIMTEC Silicone Parts, is critical for the success of your program. From biocompatibility to cost, multiple factors play into the final decision. Innovative companies are selecting more and more Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) components for their medical devices.
Benefits of LSR Solutions for Medical Devices and Disposables
LSR is a material of choice for medical applications, commonly used in dental surgery, consumer health care products, and medical devices and disposables. Medical-grade Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) is selected for its multiple benefits over other elastomers:
- High Biocompatibility: Medical-grade LSR is a bio-inert material, meaning it does not release harmful chemicals in the presence of an organic environment. Inorganic and hypoallergenic, as well as lacking in odor and taste, LSR is appropriate for both medical and food-grade applications. In turn, this means medical-grade LSR materials comply with ISO-10993, USP Class VI and RoHS standards.
- Sterilization Options: In reusable medical applications, the ability of a medical device to be sterilized is essential. LSR components can be sterilized using Autoclave, E-beam, ETO and Gamma radiation processes.
- Thermal Stability: LSR is an excellent material compared to other medical device injection-molding materials, especially due to its stability over a wide range of temperatures. The material remains stable from -150° F to 450° F, retaining its resiliency, flexibility and ability to transmit mechanical force at both extremes.
- Electrical Insulation: LSR materials are excellent electrical insulators, maintaining this quality in spite of severe environmental stresses like temperature extremes, moisture, UV and ozone.
- Pleasant Texture: Products created using LSR medical-injection molding procedures produce surfaces that feel dry and nontacky to the touch. This makes for more comfortable materials overall. The material can also achieve a variety of different textures by customizing the surfaces within the mold cavity.
These application benefits make LSR an ideal material for injection molding in the medical industry.
What are the Applications for LSR into Medical Devices and Disposables?
A variety of industries benefit from LSR solutions, including automotive, consumer products and industrial applications. Most prominently, however, LSR parts and LSR Multi-Shot components are used for health care disposables and as a device component.
LSR is “the ideal” material to be considered for:
- Drug delivery systems
- Skin contact devices
- Syringe stoppers
- Customized Parts and LSR Multi-Shot Components
To bring these components to inception with a high level of accuracy and precision, an LSR expert can greatly contribute to your success. If you need one, choose the best SIMTEC Silicone Parts.
Benefits of SIMTEC Customized LSR Solutions
SIMTEC Silicone Parts is focused on providing solutions to your business’s specific needs. As a company dedicated solely to providing LSR and LSR Multi-Shot solutions, we have the experience and knowledge you might need.
Our engagement brings measurable tangible results:
- Waste Reduction: Your project costs will be substantially lower by assisting in design optimization
- Effective Usage: As an LSR specialist, SIMTEC can leverage the unique characteristics of LSR to provide the best solution possible, with high-precision parts and LSR Multi-Shot Components.
- Part Precision: Extremely tight tolerances and consistency is guaranteed by employing high quality injection molding tools.
SIMTEC experts will assist you in the development of the best LSR and LSR Multi-Shot solutions possible assisting your business to achieve and maintain a competitive edge in your industry.
Learn More About SIMTEC LSR and LSR Multi-Shot Solutions
Interested in benefiting from LSR for your application? Learn more about LSR’s suitability for medical-device injection molding by visiting our technical information page. You can also contact us directly.